In this How-To blog, we are going to guide you with 11 easy steps about how to successfully apply large vinyl decal using center hinge method with wet installation.
Wet installation is required for the surfaces resistant to the water. For example, cars, trucks, windows, plastic surfaces – all of them are great candidates for wet install of large vinyl decals.
Vinyl decal usually arrives as three-layer sandwich: protective backing paper (back-side), adhesive vinyl with your printed design and transfer paper (semi-transparent front-side).
Here are the steps:
- Make sure your surface is clean, non-greasy and free from any particles. Don’t use ammonia-based cleaners because they can affect the adhesive.
- Attach your decal to the surface with small pieces of paper duct tape in order to align well your graphic. Make sure your decal looks well aligned from the distance of few meters.
- Apply duct tape vertically through the center of your decal.
- Gently peel protective backing paper off on the right side, so you will keep in hands transfer paper with the vinyl sticker. You will see the adhesive back side of your sticker. Cut off the backing paper.
- Spray generously with the clear water the back-side of your vinyl sticker; also spray the surface where you are going to apply your decal. More water – better.
- Carefully apply the decal on the surface, smooth the decal using some squeegee or old plastic card. Work from the center of the decal towards the edges to push the air and water out. Make sure there is no water or bubbles left behind.
- Repeat the steps 4, 5 and 6 with the left side of your decal accordingly.
- Now, when you applied the decal fully, please make sure that no air or water left underneath.
- Wait for 5 minutes to allow glue to bond a little bit.
- Gently remove the transfer paper. Don’t peel it towards yourself (90°) but rather parallel to the surface in opposite direction (close to 180°). If vinyl sticker still remains on the transfer paper, repeat the step #6 and try again.
- Your decal is ready. If you still see some bubbles, try gently pull them out without damaging the sticker itself. If not possible, no worries use the pin to make a little hole in the bubble so the air and water can be released.
We hope this little instruction helped you to apply your large vinyl decal successfully!
Thank you for ordering from YoSticker.com!